Dates: Tuesday/Thursday, August 18, 2020 - September 24, 2020.
Time: 8:00 am - 5:30 pm (some classes may end earlier)
Location: Penn State DuBois
Fee: $ 1,450 (includes all courses and exam fee)
Fulfill your required training at a convenient, location with expert resources and knowledge of Penn State faculty.
Penn State DuBois Outreach delivers continuing education for health care professionals, administrators, and/or direct staff members who must meet continuing education requirements. Prior to initial employment as an administrator, candidates must successfully complete a 100-hour training course. Current administrators must complete at least 24 hours of training each year. All direct-care staff must complete 12 hours of training annually. In addition, individuals providing elder care for family members may find some courses to be of value and are welcome to attend.
Our programs address issues surrounding personal care homes as well as the responsibility to provide safe, humane, comfortable, and supportive residential settings for adults who don't require the services of a licensed, long-term care facility, but do require assistance or supervision with daily living activities and other physical and mental life skills.
All individuals who completed the 100-hour standardized department-approved administrator training course after January 31, 2009, must successfully complete the orientation program for new administrators and a competency test with a passing score in accordance with 55 Pa.Code § 2600.64(a)(3) relating to administrator training and orientation.
Penn State is an approved provider through the Department of Public Welfare under the Personal Care Homes Licensing Regulations as of April 23, 2005, published in 55 Pa. Code Chapter 2600 (35 Pa.B.2499).
PCHA Required Orientation
This free 6-hour class must be attended before, during, or after the 100-Hour Training and exam, and must be completed before you begin acting in the capacity of a Personal Care Home Administrator. This free program is very informative and you must register to attend. Visit the PA Department of Human Services homepage and search for the Personal Care Home Administrator Orientation Schedule which shows the various locations of the training across the state.
Qualiﬁcations necessary to attend this program (must have one):
- An associate degree or 60 credit hours from an accredited college or university.
- A license as a registered nurse from the Pennsylvania Department of State.
- A license as a licensed practical nurse from the Pennsylvania Department of State and 1-year experience in a related field.
- A license as a nursing home administrator from the Pennsylvania Department of State.
- For a home serving 8 or fewer residents, a general education development diploma or high school diploma and 2 years direct care or administrative experience in the human services field.
Personal Care Home Administrator 100-Hour Training (the 100-hr. training contains all of the courses below. These courses can be taken individually. Please call 814-375-4715 or [email protected] to request to register for individual courses)
- Personal Care Services and Hygiene (0.9 CEU)
- Certification in CPR (0.7 CEU)
- American Heart Association Individuals with a valid certification in Adult CPR and First Aid are exempt from this course. Proof of certification is required.
- Nutrition, Food Handling, and Sanitation (0.7 CEU)
- Care for Residents with Dementia (0.8 CEU)
- Abuse and Neglect Prevention and Reporting (0.6 CEU)
- Cultural Competency (0.3 CEU)
- Gerontology (0.6 CEU)
- Writing Assessments (0.5 CEU)
- Care for Residents with Intellectual and/or Developmental Disabilities (0.2 CEU)
- Care for Residents with Mental Illness (0.9 CEU)
- Medication Procedures (0.7 CEU)
- Fire Prevention (0.4 CEU)
- Recreation (0.4 CEU)
- Budgeting and Financial Recordkeeping (0.4 CEU)
- Community Resources (0.4 CEU)
- Staff Supervision (0.8 CEU)
Attendance Policy: Attendance in each class is required. If a class is missed, it must be made up with another provider or taken the next time it is offered.
Cancellation Policy: There are no refunds for classes missed, but you are welcome to take the missed classes with us the next time offered at no additional cost. Once all 100 hours have been attended, you are eligible to take the PCHA Exam.
The PCHA exam will be administered immediately following the final class of the program.
Licensed Nursing Home Administrators who wish to become licensed as a Personal Care Home Administrator must complete the orientation and exam. The fee for the exam is $150. Please contact our office at (814) 375-4716 or [email protected] to schedule an appointment to take this exam.
Professional Licensure and Certification Compliance
Many US states and territories require professional licensure/certification to be employed. If you plan to pursue employment in a licensed profession after completing this program, please visit the Professional Licensure/Certification Disclosures by State interactive map.