Public invited to 'Send Off' for THON dancers

The 2015 Penn State DuBois THON Dancers, Greg Myers and Darcie Grenier.

Credit: Penn State

A sendoff event for this year's designated Penn State DuBois THON Dancers, Darcie Grenier and Greg Myers, has been announced, and members of the public are encouraged to come out and show their support. 

The doors will open for the Penn State DuBois THON Dancer Sendoff Dinner at 5:30 p.m., with a kickoff at 6 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 19, in the Hiller Building Student Union. There will be a silent auction, a hair auction, and dinner. Reservations are required, and can be made by contacting the Office of Student Engagement at 814-375-4764, or online at www.ds.psu.edu/thon

Students Grenier and Myers have been chosen to represent Penn State DuBois as the official campus dancers at THON 2015, slated for Feb. 20 through Feb. 22, at the Bryce Jordan Center at the University Park campus of Penn State. The honor will place the pair in the middle of the action of THON, as they attempt to dance and stay on their feet for 46 consecutive hours to support the battle against childhood cancer.

The largest student-run philanthropy in the world, engaging more than 15,000 students across Pennsylvania, THON raised a record $13,343,517 last year.  Since its inception in 1977, THON has raised $114 Million for the Four Diamonds Fund, the event's sole beneficiary, and a leader in the fight against pediatric cancer. The Four Diamonds Fund fills in the funding gaps that insurance leaves for the patients it serves, enabling families to focus on caring for their child. Because of large donors like THON, Penn State Hershey Hospital recruits world-class talent to continue innovative research, and to maintain and expand the state-of-the-art Children’s Hospital.

"I chose to get involved with THON because I love helping people," said Myers. "I watched the live-stream during my junior year in high school and was instantly hooked. Just from the video, I could feel the energy and the passion that the people there felt. I knew right away that I wanted to get involved as soon as possible."

Students from across all of Penn State work in numerous ways to raise money for the cause, holding the 46 hour dance marathon at the end of a long fundraising season.  The Penn State DuBois THON Committee supports the university-wide efforts of THON by holding can drives, hair auctions, and a number of other fundraising activities.

Students who are chosen as dancers for THON have worked hard for the privilege.  At Penn State DuBois, a student must raise a minimum of $1,000 for the cause all on their own before even being considered for the position.  In addition, they must also organize a fundraising event, participate in canning weekends, and more. For those who want to support the children touched by the Four Diamonds Fund, however, the reward is well worth the work.

"THON really has a special place in my heart. It's not like any other club at Penn State, it's the largest student-run philanthropy in the world. I've always been the person to step in and help people out when they are in need.  THON means changing kids' lives, not just now, but in the future." Myers remarked.  "I've always dreamed of dancing at THON for the 46 hours since I watched that live stream in high school. I can't wait to experience this and to represent Penn State DuBois at THON weekend in a few weeks. It's coming very quickly! It's really hard to describe how excited I am to join all the other dancers in standing for 46 hours For the Kids."

For up-to-date information leading up to, and during THON 2015, visit https://thon.org/