Students at Penn State DuBois have the unique opportunity to engage in undergraduate research, beginning their freshmen year, with opportunities to publish their work and present at national and international conferences.
Research opportunities that are available to undergraduate students include faculty-led research areas, industry-based projects designed to promote academia and industry collaboration, Research Experience for Undergraduate (REU), and more.
The Multi-Campus (MC) REU program, coordinated by the College of Engineering, supports Penn State undergraduate engineering students to conduct research with Penn State faculty. Selected students are required to complete their proposed engineering research project in conjunction with two Penn State faculty members; one from the student’s home campus and one based at University Park.
Recent undergraduate research topics include:
- Gregory C. - Sintering of nickel powders and impact of warm compaction
- Kurt D. - Evaluation of mechanical properties of warm compacted steel
- Linsea P. - Electroless coating and its impact on copper and silver composites
- Kyle R. - Microstructural evolution during sintering of warm compacted steel
- Nicholas T. - Copper coated iron powder and it's influence on sintering
- AMPM Conference
- Materials Science and Technology International Conference and Exhibition
- POWDERMET Conference and Exhibition
- TMS Annual Meeting and Exhibition
- Tungsten, Refractory, and Hardmaterials Conference
Internship and Employment Opportunities
Through classroom and research opportunities, students gain paid internships that provide them with the additional skills and knowledge to be successful when graduating.
Penn State DuBois engineering students have a 100% job placement rate after graduating with over 50% receiving job offers during their junior year.
Students have recently interned or been employed by companies such as:
- Abbot Furnace Company, St. Marys, PA
- Atlas Pressed Metals, DuBois, PA
- Clearfield Metal Technologies, Clearfield, PA
- Contact Technologies, Inc., St. Marys, PA
- Gasbarre Products, Inc., DuBois, PA
- GKN Powder Metallurgy
- Miller Fabrication Solutions, Brookville, PA
- North American Hoganas, St. Marys, PA
- Sintergy, Inc., Reynoldsville, PA
- Symmco Inc., Sykesville, PA