Free Software and Services Available at Penn State
Penn State offers several services that allow students, faculty, and staff to receive software for free, or at substantially reduced prices.
This page will explain those services and how you can best take advantage of them.
- Symantec EndPoint Protection Anti-Virus (It never expires!)
- Microsoft Office 2013 and 2010 Professional Plus
- Microsoft Windows 8 Pro and Windows 7 Pro
- Other Microsoft products including OneNote, Access, Project, Visio, MapPoint, Expression Studio 4 Ultimate, and Windows Server 2012.
Penn State Remote Applications
Through Remote Apps, all Penn State users can access selected applications with a web browser.
There are currently 12 applications available through this service, including: Microsoft Office 2010 (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Publisher, Visio, Project), ArcMap 10, MATLAB R2012a, Mathematica 8, Minitab 16, and SAS 9.3.
Connect to Remote Apps: http://clc.its.psu.edu/UnivServices/RemoteApps
Can I Get It for Free?
See the matrix below to see what products you are eligible to receive.
|I am...||Symantec Anti-Virus||Microsoft Windows 7 and 8
||Microsoft Office 2010 and 2013*||Other Microsoft Products|
|...a Student||Free (Download)||Free (Microsoft DreamSpark)||Buy at ComputerStore
|Free (Microsoft DreamSpark)|
|...Faculty||Free (Download)||Free (Microsoft DreamSpark)||Buy at ComputerStore
|Free (Microsoft DreamSpark)|
|...Adjunct Faculty||Free (Download)||Free (Microsoft DreamSpark)||Buy at ComputerStore
|Free (Microsoft DreamSpark)|
|...Staff||Free (Download)||Buy at ComputerStore
|Buy at ComputerStore
|Buy at ComputerStore|
How Do I Get It?
Penn State Downloads
Various software packages are available to the Penn State community from this web site:
Penn State Computer Store
Penn State sells software and hardware at reduced educational prices. Visit the store for a complete listing: http://computerstore.psu.edu/
To order Office 2013 Professional Plus (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc), search for "Office 2013". Expression Studio 4.0 Web for editing web pages is also available at the Computer Store at a reduced price.
Microsoft Enrollment for Education Solutions (EES)
This agreement covers Microsoft Office 2013 and Windows 8 for campus-owned computers. This agreement also allows for work-at-home rights for faculty and staff. You will need to purchase a copy of the Work-at-Home media for Microsoft Office 2013 or Windows 8 in order to install the software on your home computer.
For Windows 7, Windows 8, Office 2010, and Office 2013, visit http://www.computerstore.psu.edu . Then search for "work at home". More information about the EES Agreement is here: http://computerstore.psu.edu/licensing/microsoft-enrollment-education-solutions-ees-faqs
Students and faculty are now able to receive free Microsoft software. At the beginning of each semester, you will receive an email on your Penn State email account from “User Import” with the subject line “Subject: Welcome to Microsoft DreamSpark”. The email will contain your user name (your PSU email address), a password, and the link to enter the Microsoft DreamSpark website that will allow you to receive the software.
Steps to log into Microsoft DreamSpark
1. Go to the Microsoft DreamSpark website
2. Click on the Sign In button
3. Type in your Username
Penn State email address, e.g. email@example.com
4. Type in your password
Located in the email you received “Subject: Welcome to Microsoft DreamSpark”
5. You should now see all of the software you are able to receive.
Steps to get the software
1. Click on the software you want to get
2. Select the delivery option (Mail Order or buy Download)
3. Click on the Add to Cart button
4. Read the Student Use Guidelines and click on the I Agree button.
5. You can either check out our continue shopping.
6. If finished, click on the Check Out button
7. If you select download, proceed to step number 9
8. Fill out the information to order the CD
9. Fill out your name and click on Next
10. If you select Mail Order
11. Click on the product name you would like to download
12. Click the download load button
13. Save the *.exe file - The *.exe file is a download client that will allow you to save the Microsoft software to your computer.
14. Double click on the *.exe file
15. Select the location where you would like to save the software. - Example C:\temp
16. Click on the continue button
17. The software client will download the software to the location you have specified.
18. The software client will unpack the software to a folder that will resemble the name of the software you have downloaded. - Example C:\temp\MapPoint 2004 North America
19. In the software folder, you will either receive a setup.exe to install the software. Or, you will receive an *.ISO file.
20. If you receive an *.ISO file, refer to http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm for directions to create a CD for the software.
If you have questions, please contact the Help Desk at 375-4858 or stop by the Help Desk in Swift 248.
Enable your firewall and Symantec EndPoint Protection Anti-Virus before getting on the internet.
- Information Technology - General
- IT Home
- Contact Us
- Access Account Form (PSU AccessID)
- Audio Visual Support
- Digital Signage
- Free Stuff
- Identity Finder (PII)
- Listserv Email Lists
- Malware and Phishing
- DreamSpark Downloads
- PSUTXT (Emergency Text Alerts)
- Tivoli Endpoint Manager
- SPAM Quarantine Overview
- Training and Tutorials
- Wireless 2.0
- Student Computer Labs
- Additional Penn State IT Resources
- Faculty & Staff
- Faculty & Staff Home
- Academic Calendar (Univeristy-Wide)
- Janet M. Burns Award
- Disability Services for Students
- Information Technology
- Master Calendar & Events
- Maintenance Request
- News & Events
- Penn State University Faculty Handbook
- Professional Development
- Renovations on Campus
- Teaching Resources